Mouthpieces for Trombones from Bob Reeves/The Brass Ark and Greg Black Mouthpieces
The Bob Reeves/Brass Ark Mouthpieces for Trombone
We are pleased to announce a collaboration between Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces and The Brass Ark, creating an exciting line of premium trombone mouthpieces. Initially we will offer five models with more in the pipeline. Introducing, on specific request, a revolutionary shank system allowing customization for the professional to fine tune the penetration of the mouthpiece into their instrument's receiver. Various shanks and rim combinations are also available as special options.
Bob Reeves Brass Mouthpieces is a world renowned maker of the highest quality hand crafted mouthpieces for professional trumpet players for over 50 years. The Brass Ark, established in 2010 by trombonist Noah Gladstone, celebrates the love and passion for legendary brass craftsmanship and brings it to the forefront of musicians' minds through the development and cultivation of modern equipment that firmly establishes its roots in the classic designs of the vintage masters.
We are very excited and proud to see this mouthpiece project come to fruition. Bringing a premium line of hand crafted mouthpieces, available to the trombone community, has been a dream for both companies. The Bob Reeves/Brass Ark mouthpieces are some of the finest ever produced and we are confident that our philosophy of bringing rare and classic designs integrated with the modern mainstream has created something very special.
With regard to the design concepts: we were striving to find a mouthpiece that responded with vibrant clarity, a nice interface for the performer to get the maximum efficiency and production with the minimal amount of effort. The articulations speak with brilliance and definition, while the "bloom" of the tone is rich and full with a focused core that not only projects but enhances the quality and characteristic of your instrument.
Now available for immediate shipping! Scroll down to see a full list of sizes and specs
Not sure which size is best for you, or maybe you want something special and custom. Send me an E-mail and I'm happy to offer a consultation and guidance on how we can get you setup with the ideal set-up.
Buy Bob Reeves/The Brass Ark Mouthpieces Online
You can order Bob Reeves/The Brass Ark mouthpieces securely using this secure online form via paypal. In stock mouthpieces ship immediately, anything that needs to be made ship usually within 3-5 days. Special orders can take 2-4 weeks.
Domestic USA Order Form (Use this form if shipping in the USA)
International Order Form (use this if shipping outside of the USA, Japan orders please contact Joy Brass in Tokyo)
How to use this Paypal shopping cart to order a mouthpiece. I've tried to make it simple to operate, but If this is confusing or if you'd like to make a batch order with more than one mouthpiece, please send an email. If you have a special request, send me an email.
-Find the form for either Domestic shipping or International shipping. Flat rate priority mail is included in this form. For faster shipping options, send me an email.
-Use the pull down menu to select the model (one piece, two piece, signature, etc) you want to order
-Select the outer shape you want for this mouthpiece from the pull down menu: Mercury, Gemini, Standard
-Select the shank option you want for this mouthpiece from the pull down menu: standard small shank fits small and medium bore trombones, morse taper is a standard large shank tenor or bass trombone, Conn/Remington for Conn 88H or 62H trombones, cut for sleeves (only on bass shank pieces) is offered at no charge but require additional sleeves, make sure to notate if you'd like cut for sleeves and I will follow up with you.
-Type which model mouthpiece size you'd like to order, and special comments can be written here. A full list of size and specs are below. Custom sizes can be made on request, send an email.
-Any custom stamping like last name or initials can be added at no charge, the mouthpiece is not returnable with custom stamping. If you'd like stamping, indicate it here
-Click buy it now and follow the steps to pay with a paypal account or with any major credit card. Make sure your shipping address linked to your profile is correct, or if not please let me know to ship to another address.
In stock mouthpieces ship immediately with backorders/special orders in approximately 2-4 weeks. Clients in California will be billed for state sales tax (currently 10.25%). A short trial period is available on all in stock mouthpieces for one week and may be returned with a 15% restocking fee or exchanged for a different size. Outbound and return shipping is the client's obligation. If you have any questions, have a special request or large order, or find this order form confusing, Please Send me an E-mail
For our friends in Japan, please contact Joy Brass to order stock Reeves-Brass Ark trombone mouthpieces. Custom orders are available at retail price. Please send an email.
Bob Reeves/Brass Ark Mouthpieces Sizes and Specs:
Alto Trombone/Bass Trumpet Small Shank:
- NEW! Designed specifically for alto trombone and bass trumpet, this mouthpiece features a unique rim contour and profile designed for brilliance and clarity while still giving good endurance. Based on a rare one of a kind mouthpiece in my collection, this piece will be sure to give great results on these often neglected instruments. Offered as a one piece or two piece version on our small standard "Mercury Blank"
Tenor Trombone Small Shank:
- 11C, one or two piece, standard small shank "Mercury Blank" 24.8mm rim, medium shallow cup. Ideal for small bore tenor and alto trombone playing
- Clarke 6.5AL, one or two piece, standard small shank "Mercury Blank", 25.35mm rim, medium cup. Based on the original 6.5AL mouthpiece developed in the 1930s, The Clarke is a versatile mouthpiece for all around playing. Works great in .508-.525" bore trombones.
Tenor Trombone Large Shank:
- Clarke 6.5AL, one or two piece, large shank, 25.35mm rim, medium cup
- 5GS, two piece only, large shank, 25.55mm rim, medium cup. A brighter and smaller version of our standard 5G. Has a more shallow cup, tighter throat and special backbore. Extremely efficient large bore mouthpiece
- 5G "Gladstone", one or two piece, large shank, 25.55mm rim, medium deep cup. Special backbore with a "J" throat. Gives a touch more resistance than a standard 5G.
- 5G, one or two piece, large shank, 25.55mm rim, medium deep cup
- 4G, one or two piece large shank 26mm rim, deep cup
- 5G-4G, two piece large shank, 25.55mm rim, deep cup
- 4G-5G, two piece large shank, 26mm rim, med. deep cup
- 4.5G-5G, two piece large shank 25.75mm rim, med. deep cup (special order)
- COMING SOON Martin Schippers Tenor Trombone, two piece large shank
- IN PRODUCTION Martin Schippers Signature Tenor/Bass Doubler, two piece large shank
David Rejano Signature Mouthpieces
- David Rejano Orchestra, two piece only, large shank, Clarke style shape 25.55mm rim, medium deep cup with focus specifically designed for a projecting and steerable sound for the principal player in large symphonic settings, Standard outer shape
- David Rejano Solo, two piece only, large shank, Clarke style shape 25.55mm rim, special cup depth to yield clarity and brilliance while maintaining endurance for the solo literature, Mercury outer shape
- David Rejano Toro, two piece only, large shank, Clarke style shape 25.55mm rim, orchestral cup depth for a brighter and soaring sound, crisp articulations with great flexibility are characteristics of this piece. Standard outer shape
- David Rejano Dino, two piece only, large shank, Clarke style shape with a 25.55mm rim, designed specifically for orchestral euphonium playing, this mouthpiece brings a smooth sound, predictable slotting and a full color spectrum. Mercury outer shape.
Jay Friedman Mouthpieces
- Jay Friedman Signature, two piece large shank Friedman rim based on a Bach 3G (26.26mm), special deep V cup and backbore. As used by Jay Friedman of the Chicago Symphony. Mercury Blank Only.
- Jay Friedman 4G, two piece large shank 26mm rim, special V cup and backbore, Mercury Blank only
- Jay Friedman 5G, two piece large shank 25.55mm rim, special V cup and backbore, Mercury Blank only (special order)
- *Two piece mouthpieces optional w/ Delrin rim (white or black) on request, no additional charge*
- "Mr. Bass Trombone" 1 1/2G 27.15mm rim, "GR" cup. Designed with the commercial bass trombonist in mind, this mouthpiece was inspired by a vintage piece made for "Mr Bass Trombone" in the 1960s. Ideal for players looking for a 1 1/2G sized mouthpiece with just a bit more room in the rim, punchy low end and singing middle and upper registers.
- Orchestral Bass Trombone, one or two piece, large shank, 28.15mm rim inner diameter, medium wide rim, deep cup. A powerful mouthpiece that is extremely efficient while delivering the breadth of sound needed for the demands of the modern bass trombone. Endurance and comfort is paramount on this design, yielding efficient tone production with a penetrating, dense bloom.
- IN PRODUCTION Martin Schipper Signature Bass Trombone Signature, 27.65mm rim, Mr Bass style cup, Large Shank
- "CV" Bass Trombone, one or two piece, large shank, Mercury blank29.5mm rim inner diameter, thin rim profile, deep cup with special efficient backbore and throat. Developed with a legendary bass trombonist who has the initials CV. Also available in a lightweight version as the CV 2.0 model. This is an epic mouthpiece, one piece CV 1.0 $275. CV 2.0 $310
- Custom Sizes on Request
*Standard in silver-plated finish, with Morse taper. Remington taper on request*
"Reeves-Brass Ark "Mercury" Trombone Line
Inspired by a rare trombone mouthpiece made by a famous mouthpiece maker in the early 1920s (before he started a famous Brass Corporation in New York, Mt Vernon and Elkhart). We knew we could come up with an updated trombone mouthpiece that captures the essence of a bygone era. The new Bob Reeves-Brass Ark "Mercury" trombone line offers our standard pieces with the option of another outer shape. This new design yields a vibrant, timeless sound with predictability in color, response and familiarity.
The Mercury blank is available on any mouthpiece that we offer, and only available on the small shank 11C and Clarke mouthpieces. Each size mouthpiece has a specific blank that is designed for that size, to help maintain proper visual proportions but also retain a balanced weight and sound. No extra charge for a Mercury blank. Product photos:
Mercury Small Tenor Trombone (11C and Clarke):
Mercury Large Tenor Trombone (5G, 4G, Friedman Special):
Large Tenor Trombone Blank Comparison (Standard Blank, Mercury Blank):
Orchestral Bass Trombone (Standard Blank, Mercury Blank):
"Reeves-Brass Ark "Gemini" Trombone Line
We've had lots of requests for a mouthpiece that is in between our Mercury and Standard weight pieces and we are glad to introduce our new outer shape "Gemini"! Using our Mercury blank as a starting point, we created a new sleek outer shape that gives just a bit more mass in the cup area while still being an homage to the vintage look. We couldn't be happier with the results and we hope you are just as thrilled!
The Gemini blank is available on any small shank and large shank tenor trombone mouthpiece that we offer. We are currently working on a bass trombone Gemini offering as well. No extra charge for a Gemini blank. We are currently working on Gemini shapes for small tenor and bass trombone, launching in January 2021.Product photos:
Comparison of Blanks (Standard, Gemini, Mercury):
Comparison of raw un-cut blanks (Small Tenor Mercury, Small Tenor Gemini, Large Tenor Mercury, Large Tenor Gemini):
"Reeves-Brass Ark Sterling Silver Mouthpieces
As a proof of concept, we were inspired to create a solid sterling silver trombone mouthpiece, the first that we know of since Al Almont made pieces in sterling for the Dorsey Big Band. Through a process of casting and hand turning we are able to create these special mouthpieces on request.
Sterling Silver is a unique material, being 25% heavier than brass it gives more focus and dense timbre without adding lots of physical material, we can maintain our an elegant look while creating a more vibrant and special mouthpiece. Each sterling part is cut by hand from the rough casting, which makes each one a unique look. Making a mouthpiece from sterling is a long and difficult process, a semi precious material with high cost and special tooling required, so these mouthpieces won't be for everyone, but we are excited to be the first maker offering trombone pieces in sterling silver. Reeves-Brassark Sterling rims are available in stock sizes, custom sizes and full sterling mouthpieces are on request, please email for a quote. Product photos:
Sterling Silver Mercury Prototype:
*Have a favorite rim or cup, but want one of our mouthpieces? We're happy to thread your rim onto one of our underparts or your underpart onto one of our rims. $50 per threading plus cost of the rim or underpart. Send an E-mail to discuss what you'd like and we'll get you sorted
-One Piece Trombone, silver-plated: Retail Price $275, Discount Price $235
-Two Piece Trombone, silver-plated: Retail Price $315, Discount Price $275
-Reeves Shank Sleeve System: included no charge
-Sleeves (standard morse, Remington, Euro and various +/- gradations): $35 each
-Sterling Silver Rim, Stock Reeves-Brass Ark Size $950
-Sterling Silver Rim, Custom Size starting at $1350, email
-Additional two piece Rims: $100
-Additional two piece Cups: $185
-Custom Rim Size $50
-Full Custom Mouthpiece: $495
-Hand Carved outer shapes, $90/hour
-Goldplated additional: full piece $135, rim only $60
Bob Reeves developed his sleeve system on his trumpet mouthpiece to help players fine tune the gap between the end of their mouthpiece and the start of the leadpipe. We thought it interesting to develop a similar system to allow trombonists to adjust the penetration of their shank into their leadpipe. Not only does it allow you tailor your piece to your instrument, but it also allows you to change the shank taper (i.e. Morse, Remington, Euro etc) without changing to an entirely different mouthpiece or ordering a new backbore.
The Reeves/Ark sleeve system is available for no additional charge when ordering one of our mouthpieces. Each sleeve is $35 each in silver. An existing mouthpiece can be adapted for sleeves for $50 in silver and if you're interested in that please send me an E-mail for instructions on delivery times.
These online ordering systems are designed to allow clients to purchase basic models. If you're after a custom size, lexan rim, ordering additional rims or cups or anything else that isn't listed here it is best to Send an E-mail. If you'd like something custom or just want some advice on which mouthpiece direction would be best for you, please ask me. I'm happy to help offer a personal consultation. If you order a mouthpiece cut for sleeves, I will invoice you for the balance of your sleeve cost.
Please note that orders from Japan should go through our exclusive dealer, Joy Brass. Custom orders can still be ordered from me directly.
Vintage Reissue Purviance Los Angeles Mouthpieces
You read it right! Purviance trombonee mouthpieces are back in production and made with the original tools by Bob Reeves! These legendary mouthpieces were used by many jazz legends. These pieces were designed by Caroll Purviance in the 1930s, after becoming a prominent maker in Los Angeles brass scene. Bob Reeves apprenticed with Purviance and inherited his tools in the late 1960s, building the foundation for his new business. Purviance pieces were available to a select few clients over the years made by Bob, but with this new reissue series, they will be available to all. Trombone mouthpieces have a one week trial with a 15% restocking fee.<
Available in the following original sizes. No modifications. Custom orders on request.
- 4*1 standard shank
- 5*1 standard shank
- 5*3 bass shank
- Bass Trombone
Prices are $210 in one piece, $330 in gold plate
Order your Reissue Purviance mouthpiece online!
Domestic USA Order Form (Use this form if shipping in the USA)
International Order Form (use this if shipping outside of the USA, Japan orders please contact Joy Brass in Tokyo)
If you have any questions, have a special request or large order, or find this order form confusing, Please Send me an E-mail
Greg Black Online Shopping Cart Form
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Greg Black is regarded as one of the best and most experienced mouthpiece makers in the entire world. I'm pleased to be his West Coast Dealer and do my best to keep a good stock of his mouthpieces available in my shop for trial. Additionally, I can custom order pieces for clients and usually have a faster delivery time than most avenues. Trumpet pieces are only special order and are not returnable. Trombone mouthpieces have a one week trial with a 15% restocking fee.
Trumpet: special order
Trombone:$229 in light, medium or heavy weight
Signature Trombone: $259
I try to carry these sizes in stock for Trombone at all times. Usually in regular weight, other weights and sizes are available but usually not in stock. Please email for specific requests. Remington/Conn shank mouthpieces can be ordered as special orders. Backorders and Special orders are delivered approx 3-4 weeks after order. Please email for current stock:
- 11C standard shank
- 6.5AL standard shank
- 6G/5G bass shank
- 5G bass shank
- 5G "Kitzman" bass shank, light weight
- 4.5G bass shank
- 4G/5G bass shank
- 4G bass shank
- New York Series 5 bass shank
- New York Series 5.5 bass shank
- New York Series 5.75 bass shank
- Contrabass medium large bass shank
- 0G bass shank
- 1G bass shank
- 1G .312 #2 bass shank
- 1 1/2G bass shank
-1 1/4G bass shank
- 1 1/4G .312 #2 bass shank
- 1 1/8G bass shank
- 1 5/16G bass shank
- 1 3/8G bass shank
- 2GP "Premeru" bass shank $259 *special order*
Order your Greg Black Trombone mouthpieces here online!
In stock mouthpieces ship immediately with backorders/special orders in approximately 2-4 weeks. Clients in California will be billed for state sales tax (currently 10.25%). A short trial period is available on all stock mouthpieces for one week and may be returned with a 15% restocking fee. Outbound and return shipping is the client's obligation. If you have any questions, have a special request or large order, or find this order form confusing, Please Send me an E-mail
Greg Black Domestic USA Order Form (Use this form if shipping in the USA)
International Order Form (use this if shipping outside of the USA)